EFAC was founded in 1998 in response to a concern that European certification bodies lacked a focus for the promotion of their collective and individual interests both within Europe and further afield.
The Federation was granted Association Membership of the International Accreditation Forum, [IAF], in January 2003 and is represented on the IAF Technical and Multilateral Recognition Arrangement, [MLA], Committees.
EFAC is also represented on the following European bodies:
- European Co-operation for Accreditation Certification Committee, [EACC]
- EA Advisory Board
- EA Certification Committee [EACC] Food Committee
The objectives of the Federation are to:
- Promote EFAC within Europe
- Provide a focus for the formulation of policy, opinions and views in matters of common interest to its members
- Promote the collective and individual interest of members in all relevant European and international fora
EFAC has two categories of membership, Full and Associate. Full Membership is open to European associations of accredited certification bodies and Associate Membership is open to individual European certification bodies who are either accredited or actively seeking accreditation provided that the relevant national association, if any, is not an EFAC member.